According to the DEA, fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is 50 to 100 times stronger than morphine. While some might be aware of fentanyl’s increasing prevalence—it is often found alongside heroine either to increase potency or disguise the drug—many are still anywhere of the substance and its extreme risks.
On today’s episode, Dr. Liz is joined by Danyell Collins-Facteau, Licensed Program Supervisor, and Kristen Martin, Certified Prevention Specialist, from Chesapeake Integrated Behavioral Health. They share the dangers of fentanyl, various ways to prevent overdose, and what the average person can do to join the fight against overdose.
Key Takeaways from Liz’s chat with Danielle and Kristen:
- Learn why there has been an increase in opioid and fentanyl overdoses
- Hear about the dangers of fentanyl, including the small fatal dosage amount
- Find out how fentanyl test strips work and why they are making a huge difference in the prevention of overdose
- Discover how providing test strips can lead to conversations with users and reduce potential harm
- Learn about the Revive training program, where you can find Narcan, what it is, and how you can help prevent overdose.
All of this and more, on this episode of Calm, Cool and Connected.
Find more information about Chesapeake Integrated Behavioral Healthcare on their website: https://www.cibhprevention.com
For more information on prevention services in Virginia, visit: curbthecrisis.com
For more information on Dr. Elizabeth Fedrick, visit her website: evolvecounselingaz.com
Connect with Dr. Fedrick on Instagram: @drelizabethfedrick
Have a question you’d like answered on the show?
Leave us a voicemail here:
For more great Calm, Cool and Connected content, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify, and all the popular podcasting platforms. (RSS) https://3cstvshow.buzzsprout.com
Already subscribed? Please take a moment to rate and review the podcast so that we can reach as many people that need the help as we can: https://3cstvshow.buzzsprout.com
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram
And keep up to date with all things mental health at the Calm, Cool and Connected Article Aggregator, updated daily.