The holidays are upon us and festivities (and gift-giving) often include decadent food and drink. But what about rethinking the routine of giving cookies and sweets and consider giving gifts that promote healthy habits?
On this month’s episode of “Your Health”, we’re talking healthy gift ideas and stopped by one of my very favorite places – Strawberry Hedgehog – a local soap shop that specializes in making handcrafted, vegan, toxin-free bath and body products. We talked with owner, Tracy Perkins, who shared her best advice for those wanting to give ‘healthy’ gifts this holiday season. Take a look!
Healthy Gifts Delivered? Yes, Please!
Subscription boxes. They continue to grow in popularity and also make great gifts that keep on giving, reminding the lucky recipient how much you care with each delivery, long after the holidays are over. Here are a few wellness-focused services that would make unique and fun gifts!
- Try the World ($39 per month) – For the foodie in your life, this subscription is a curated box of cooking ingredients, snacks and more from around the world.
- Fit Lifestyle Box ($20 per month) – Looking for some healthy lifestyle motivation? This company offers options for both men and women with each box featuring up to five fitness product samples, one full-sized fitness product plus a different 30-day challenge workout each month.
- Soap Club (3 month @ $13.50/month) – Strawberry Hedgehog offers a subscription that offers one unique bar of soap per month, delivered right to your mailbox. In addition to their 3-month option, you can also opt for a 6-month($11.50/month) or 12-month subscription ($9.95/month.)
Try Stocking Stuffers
Who doesn’t love a great stocking stuffer and when you can find healthy ones that are available with two-day free shipping on Amazon Prime? It’s a holiday score!
- Homesick Natural Soy Candle ($29.95) – If they’ve been missing home lately, gift them one of these candles, made to evoke each state’s trademark fragrances. For example, the Arizona candle captures the scents of the Grand Canyon – desert sand, blue agave, lime and orange citrus.
- Mini Muscle Massage Roller ($12.98) – Small, portable and functional for sore and achy muscles. If you’re a Prime member, you can snag it online for $9.79.
Photo credit: homesickcandles.com
Add Some Holiday Zen
Let’s face it, the holidays aren’t always so merry and bright and can at times be downright stressful. If you find yourself becoming overwhelmed during the holidays, it’s time to take a pause, unwind and find calm in the chaos. Studies show that houseplants can actually reduce stress and improve productivity, so if you’re looking for a gift for someone (or for yourself) to create a more calming space, a succulent terrarium is a great option.
And while you’re out and about shopping for those holiday gifts, you’ll inevitably find yourself stuck in traffic. But don’t let it suck the joy out of your day! Adding some aromatherapy diffusers in your car can at least make your commute a little less stressful. I personally like the diffusers that clip on to your vents and come with felt pads that can absorb essential oil scents of your choosing.
Photo Credit: potterybarn.com
Giving gifts is always fun (and giving healthy ones is even better), but don’t forget to make the holidays also a time to strengthen relationships. Remind your family and friends why you’re grateful for them. Studies actually show that the brain chemical, serotonin, is released whenever you reflect on meaningful events and achievements from the past. When you find yourself feeling anxious or overwhelmed amidst the holiday rush, be intentional to pause and look for the moments that will turn into treasured memories. You’ll be glad you did.
Happy Holidays to you and yours, and stay healthy my friends!
Erica Cardenas (@EricaCardenas1)