By Rachelle McCray
Spring is here! It’s the perfect time to getaway, or plan your upcoming summer escape. With so many places to travel and limited time and budget, we rounded up our favorite tips on saving cash to get you on the road.
Create a Life Budget
What’s a life budget? It’s the idea of taking everything you spend money on, and condensing it down to the essentials. It may seem like a daunting task at first, but in actuality, this approach will help you see how and where you spend your money. Here are a few ways you can cut on budget, and put that money away for your upcoming vacay.
Netflix at home instead of DateNight
- Prep a nice dinner and have great convo in your favorite spot of the house, then change into Pj’s and set the lights low. And don’t forget to prep your favorite movie snacks! For extra comfort and relaxation, grab your comforter and pillows and add them to the living room. You’ll save money on tips, tax, and snacks, plus you won’t have the hefty price of a movie ticket.
Trade your cafe shop latte for a home brew
- your daily coffee can add up to a few excursions or a fancy dinner out. By making your favorite cup of joe at home, you’d be surprised how quickly the savings can add up! And, you don’t have to sacrifice your morning caffeine fix to do it.
Girls Night In
- Instead of heading to your favorite wine bar, grab the girls and a few board games, and just like that you have a fun night in. Save the cost on the tips and bottles and splurge for an upgrade on the hotel accommodations or upgrade the rental for more comfort during your trip.
One of the best ways to save money for any type of travel, is to plan in advance. Last minute bookings can seriously kill the pocket book with inflated hotel prices, excursions and non existent dining options. Here are three ways you can plan ahead so you stay on budget.
- Map out your destination first. Choose cities, hot spots, must do activities, as well as rest locations and gas stops.
- Book accommodations second. Once you’ve figured out your destination points, find the places you will need to stay. Check alternate housing options like AirBnB or HomeAway, and discount hotel sites. You can also cash in reward points to save money.
- Plan excursions third. Using discount apps like Groupon, you’ll find tons of fun options. You can also check with the hotel concierge or your home hosts to give tips on savings or bundle packages. Try not to buy on the spot, as you will likely pay a premium or you run the risk of your must activity being sold out.
- Make dining reservations last. Not all places require this, but if you are looking to dine in a popular location or upscale hot spot, generally reservations are a must. You don’t want to take the chance of not getting to try a world famous steak because you forgot to call ahead.
- Search for discounts and free. Everything from group discounts, to mobile apps, provide opportunities to get something free or discounted. Look for coupons, buy one get one, or perks from things like your credit card, to help save money on everything from accommodations to rental cars and all things in between.
Do a Little Extra
These days, there are so many ways to take your free time and hobbies and make some extra cash! Here are a few ideas to get you going, but keep in mind the options are endless, if you use a little creativity and your skills.
- Drive for a delivery service or car sharing company. Lyft, Uber, Postmates, and Instacart, are just a few examples of companies that allow you to make your own schedule and you reap the benefits of extra cash flow.
- Start an online shop. Whether you are skilled at woodworking, making custom or creative gifts, or business consulting, the internet has made it easy to reach an audience looking for something you offer!
- Spring clean and sell unneeded items. Places like Facebook Marketplace, Offer Up, Poshmark, and Craigslist, have made it easier than ever to sell everything from clothes to appliances. Or, have a yard sale! Taking items you do not use or need, and placing them online or at a garage a sale, is a quick and easy way to make a few extra bucks to put towards your epic road trip.
With all of the money we will be saving with these easy and practical tips, we might just plan a few road trips. See you there!
For more tips and tricks on living your best life now, tune in to Arizona Living: Your Life, Your Style on Yurview, or check your local Cox Communications listings for air times.
Our latest episode of Arizona Living: Your Life, Your Style: