Home Regions New England

Rams Rally Falls Short

It’s the third straight loss for the Rams on the heels of their 5-0 start

URI Football

The Maine Black Bears have had URI’s number for the past decade and a half as they have won 13 consecutive games against the Rams. The last win for URI was October 28, 2006. Today the streak continued.

After falling behind 24-3 in the first half, the Rams shook off the rough start — plus some of the struggles of losses to Towson and Villanova — but couldn’t complete their comeback and lost 45-24 to Maine at soggy Meade Stadium.

It’s the third straight loss for the Rams on the heels of their 5-0 start. Maine is heading in the opposite direction with three consecutive wins in CAA play. Both teams are now 3-3 in league games. URI’s FCS playoff hopes that looked promising just three weeks ago have dimmed significantly.

Maine dominated the opening half, scoring on all three of its first-quarter possessions and adding a field goal before the break. The Black Bears racked up 340 yards of offense before halftime and held URI to just 91. A C.J. Carrick field goal accounted for URI’s only points.

For URI, it looked like an extension of the last two weeks, with the team struggling on both sides of the ball, as it did against Towson and Villanova, particularly on offense.



Things improved for the home team in the second half. The Rams scored on the first play after the break as Kasim Hill found Paul Woods for a 68-yard touchdown. An interception by Frederick Mallay set up another score, with Hill hitting Jaylen Smith to make it 24-17. After forcing a three-and-out, URI went nowhere on its next drive, and Maine pushed back with an 80-yard scoring drive. URI safety Coby Tippett nearly picked off a pass that might have gone for a touchdown the other way but couldn’t haul it in, and the Black Bears kept marching. Derek Robertson hit Daniel Rymer for a 33-yard score that made it 31-17.

A surprisingly big kick return by upback Jake Fire set URI up for an answer. Kasim Hill connected with Caleb Warren on a pair of fourth downs, the first a leaping catch on fourth-and-long, the second a 5-yard touchdown grab. The touchdown made it a one-score game again.

Maine’s next drive largely ended URI’s hopes. The Rams thought they had recovered a fumble on the first play but replay confirmed the runner was down.

Rhody also had another near-miss on a potential interception. The Black Bears proceeded to convert four third downs, the last of which went for a 14-yard touchdown from Robertson to Shawn Bowman. The lead went back to two scores, with seven minutes off the clock.

Maine followed with a stop and a touchdown run by Freddie Brock for the final margin.

The loss will likely knock URI out of the Top 25. Having peaked at 12 after the win over Delaware, the Rams dropped to No. 24 this week.